There's a lot of buzz in the natural health industry about doing a detox. There's no question that it's an amazing way to cleanse your body of harmful toxins that are frequently found in our food, air, and water supply. It can also jumpstart weight loss, leave you with glowing skin, and improve your brain function.
Day spas offer ways to rejuvenate you from head to toe through the use of a sauna or various types of massage.
You can also purchase powders, pills, and potions that promise to clean every cell, flush away stubborn waste, and leave you feeling years younger. However, many can leave you running to the bathroom nonstop.
Fall and spring are ideal times to do a full body detox, but there are easy ways to get rid of impurities, reduce inflammation, and chemicals that can lead to disease everyday.
1. Increase the amount of green plant food you eat. They are some of the most powerful foods with an abundant supply of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Because they are loaded with amazing nutrients, they support all of our vital organs.
2. Sweating is an easy way to release toxins through the skin. You can build up a good sweat by going for a brisk walk or jog. Sweating is also good for the kidneys and reduce your chances of getting kidney stones. Try jumping on a mini trampoline for a good workout indoors.
3. Dry brushing your skin before a shower is a great way to remove excess dead skin cells but also allow the skin to release toxins. It's also good for circulation, and it stimulates the lymphatic system and is very invigorating.
4. Drink plenty of water with fresh lemon especially first thing in the morning. Try lemon with hot water, a bit of turmeric, and a pinch of cayenne pepper. It helps gets the bowels moving and flushes out unwanted toxins.
5. Have an assortment of plants in your home. It's the perfect way to filter and purify the air. Keep one on your nightstand to help you breathe easy at night. I like to place a glass of water next to the plant to put moisture into the air, and that helps prevent your skin from drying out at night.
6. Deep breathing is a great way to release toxins. That's when the body releases 70% of toxins. You exhale carbon dioxide which is carries out waste. Deep breathing also improves your mood and helps you handle stress better.
7. Take a warm bath with epsom salt magnesium flakes. Essential oils can enhance the experience too. They can draw out toxins, help you relax, and improve sleep.
8. Add fresh herbs to your diet. Herbs have amazing healing power besides adding delicious flavor to your food. They're loaded with antioxidants that boost your immune system. Most are antibacterial, antimicrobial, and have many medicinal properties.
9. Oil pulling is an ancient method of oral care that has been shown to remove toxins from your mouth which is the gateway to your body. First thing in the morning, take a half tablespoon of coconut oil, and swish it in your mouth for 20 minutes. Spit it out in a trash can, so it doesn't clog up your drain pipes. Then, brush your teeth. I like to add a drop of clove, cilantro, or peppermint essential oil. Aim for 5 minutes in the beginning until you feel more comfortable.
10. Doing a juice or bone broth fast is a great way to give your digestive system a break while the body expels toxins. Just 2-3 days doing just liquids and a small amount of cooked vegetables can supercharge weight loss and leave you feeling rejuvenated.
Try doing at least a few of these every day, and you'll begin to see improvements in how you look and feel. Our body works so hard for us. Isn't it time we did something amazing for it?
I'd love to hear your experiences as you try some of these tips. Happy detoxing.
Want more healthy tips, follow me, and Like me on my Facebook page. Facebook.com/coachmaggie4health